Saturday, May 9, 2009

Hot Pot

Hot Pot, which originated in Chong Ching, is, um. A unique experience that I think you have to come over and experience yourself.
Briefly it's boiling oil filled with peppers and spices in which you dip and cook various foods. The bowl on the inside is boiling oil without the spices. And for children and people like me, you get a bowl of water in which you can bath your food of the hot spices before you eat it.
Here is Guy trying to understand it all. He gets very serious when trying to understand food.

Summing it up, it's a whole cultural experience that takes place in echo-y restaurants filled with large groups of people having a really good time which makes the sound deafening and really fun because people are laughing and fighting over food that they put in the pot and lost to someone else and Yue Li informs us when we're done that she always has to wash her clothes when she gets home due to the grease smell. Haha. Kind of like going to McDonalds only a lot more fun.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I'm love'n the HOT POT!!

    Years ago in Little Saigon I had the server order for us, I said 'you pick'...well, she brought what looked like a flying saucer to the table, I wasn't exactly sure if it was a table decoration or what...turned out to be hot oil with a grill (looked like a sieve) where you'd cook your own food. The server did the first batch of meat, veggies and put them in what looked like fancy stationary (later found out it was rice paper)...it was one of the most fun times I've ever had eating and your story of hot pot leaves me wanting to go back and find a place to have my 'flying saucer' meal again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha for sure thats what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete