Monday, May 4, 2009

Two day road adventrue: Dazu Rock Carvings

Here we are at the Dazu Rock Carvings, a World Heritage Site, a couple of hours from Sky and Yue Li's. I'm not much of a site seeing person so forgive me for my brevity - basically, they are carvings done by Buddhist Monks some 800 years ago into the sides of cliffs. They are impressive, and for further info you can google it.
See that smile on Sky's face? It's about to be wiped off. Shortly after this picture was taken Yue Li and I found a quiet lobby of a small hotel to rest and nurse the baby. The proprietor's wife hovered about and asked the usual questions (how old is the baby) and made the usual comments (she's too young to bring out of the house). The proprietor just sat on a chair and looked unhappy. After we were done, the woman approached Yue Li and spoke to her in Chinese, obviously distressed. Yue Li frowned and asked me to get Sky, curio shopping across the street with Guy. After a brief "discussion" Sky and Yue li walked back across the street and entered one of the stores, Skyler looking most annoyed. They emerged with a bag which they handed the hotel owner then joined us.

Guy and I said nothing, pretending all was well in newly-wed land, and we all continued on down the street. Suddenly, loud explosions sounded behind us, and turning around we could see some serious fireworks popping off, louder than m-80's and creating a huge smoke cloud. No one paid a lot of attention except Guy and I.

"Those cost me 30 RMB," Skyler told us, still wearing a sour expression, "Apparently, nursing a baby under two months in a hotel lobby is bad luck. I had to buy those fireworks for him so they'd chase off the evil spirits just poised to haunt his hotel."

Guy and I laughed so hard we eventually got some smiles, then laughs from the kids. Oh my gosh, I'm telling you, that really made our day.
We all liked this chair.

No, I'm not touching it. I didn't touch anything, in fact, I didn't see anyone touching the carvings, although most of them were not roped off.
Our group were the only foreigners I saw that day. People took more photos of the carvings than they did of us but not by much. Here a girl is admiring Xing Xing.

Skyler curio shopping. Below; Guy finally gets his rickshaw ride. (guy not shown, haha) A couple of days ago Guy asked Yue Li if she knew of a place where he could get a ride in a rickshaw. She didn't recognize that word even after we tried to explain it so I drew her a stick figure of a man pulling a cart. When she saw it, she laughed so hard it was awhile before she could answer us. "Yeah, I've seen those before," she told us. "In the movies!"

Apparently people on foot don't pull these anymore but at the tourist places you can rent the ones pulled by people on bikes.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, beautiful photos of a beautiful new family! congrats maggie. love hearing about the fireworks. ha. what fun and how strange everything must be, sooooo fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heseon so good to hear from you. It is so strange and so wonderful. We have this passport in to the life here because of Yue Li, Sky and the baby, and everyone is so friendly and kind. I think they would be pretty friendly anyway, but seeing China via Sky and Yue Li is really a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fireworks and rickshaws...great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dazu rock carvings have astonishingly artistic works with rich sprinkle of secular & spiritual symbols of everyday life of China. The reclined Buddha statue & the prominent cave of fulfillment are the precious view of spiritual, history or art enthusiasts. From hell & drunkard with mother to Liu Benzen with tantric control are rock carvings of ultimate significance. For more details: http://www.journeyidea.com/dazu-rock-carvings-part-ii/

    ReplyDelete